Monday, July 20, 2015

Book Review: Station Eleven

Title: Station Eleven
Author: Emily St. John Mandel
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary: Twenty years ago, a flu pandemic decimated the world's population.  A troupe of musicians and actors known as The Traveling Symphony have dedicated themselves to keeping art and culture alive by touring around the area formerly known as Michigan.  This book bounces between the pre- and post-pandemic worlds and paints a vivid picture of both.

Review: I do love a good post-apocalypse book.  However, when I think of my own survival in a post-apocalypse world, I have concerns, mainly pharmaceutical related (real drugs, people, not recreational).  Forget any aromatase inhibitors.  I also have hypothyroidism.  I'm more worried about running out of my levothyroixine than my AIs.  So I know in the event of an apocalypse, I need to stockpile meds.  I was tempted to give this book five stars but didn't for a few reasons:
  1. Time lapses:  There are no cars so people have to walk everywhere or take horses.  I get that.  But can we have a clearer distinction about time passed when you're walking in a large circle around Michigan?
  2. Antagonist: There's a preacher that has formed a cult and is feared.  I thought he was going to play a larger role than he did.  I understand why he was mentioned but it felt a little anti-climatic. 
  3. More character development: Some characters were well developed, others not so much.  And yet the others that weren't that developed had large pre-apocalypse parts but very small post-apocalypse parts.  So why introduce these characters at all?
I guess that was it.  

Time to write: 7:31

No comments:

Post a Comment