Saturday, July 11, 2015

Book review: The Last Time We Say Goodbye

Title: The Last Time We Say Goodbye
Author: Cynthia Hand
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary: Lex and her family have been a mess since her younger brother Tyler committed suicide.  Lex's mom spends a lot of time in bed and/or drinking and Lex has pushed her boyfriend and friends out of her life.  Lex is in therapy somewhat against her will and rolls her eyes at her therapist.  Lex starts to feel haunted by her brother's ghost, which forces her to face her own guilt and unresolved issues.   Heading to college next year, Lex needs to decide if she can leave her mom, who is now truly alone since her parents' divorce.

Review: I am lucky enough that I've never had somebody close to me commit suicide.  So I can't imagine the feelings that this would bring up and I hope that I never have to.  I read this more through the lens of a parent rather than Lex's point of view.  I can't imagine how difficult it would be to deal with losing a child or a sibling to suicide.  This was a pretty raw book.  I could appreciate Lex's reaction as well as her mom's reaction.  Why didn't I give it more stars?  Because it wasn't one of those books that I couldn't wait to pick up when I finally found time to read.

Time to write: way too long

No comments:

Post a Comment