Saturday, February 15, 2014

Book review: The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells

Title: The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells
Author: Andrew Sean Greer
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary: It's 1985 and Greta Wells is dealing with the death of her twin brother and a breakup with her longtime love Nathan.  In an attempt to deal with her crippling depression, Greta embarks on a series of radical psychiatric treatments.  Each treatment takes her between three different time periods: 1985, 1918 and 1941.  In the alternate time periods the people in her 1985 life are still there--her brother, Nathan, and others but her life is radically different in each.  As her treatments end, which year will she stay in?       

My review: The last chapter of this book saved it for me.  I really liked the year Greta ultimately chose and  the reason for it.  Until then, I was ambivalent about the book.  It was a quick read, thus the reason I stayed with it.  Of course, it was also a nice change from the "was it a suicide or not" genre I had been stuck in.

No comments:

Post a Comment