Friday, February 28, 2014

Book review: Cuckoo's Calling

Title: Cuckoo's Calling
Author: Robert Gailbraith (a.k.a. J.K. Rowling)
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Summary:  Nick is a down on his luck detective (is there any other kind?). He’s visited by the brother of a famous young model who had committed suicide a few months prior.  The brother doesn’t think she committed suicide and wants Nick to investigate further.  Hilarity ensues.  Not really.


My review: I resisted reading this book for a long time primarily because George X is actually J.K. Rowling.  I know many people love the Harry Potter books and I’ll probably introduce the girls to them one day but I couldn’t get into them.  This book appealed to me though, despite the fact that I feel like I’ve read a lot of “woman commits suicide but was it really a suicide” as of late.  So I finally caved and I’m glad I did—it was really good.  The characters have depth and you could tell that the detective was starting to figure out the killer, but it ended up not being the person you thought it was. I like twists like that.
I’m pretty sure this is setting the stage for an ongoing series with the detective.  There’s already another book in the works under Gailbraith’s name.  There’s a side story with his admin, who started off as a temp but is slowly becoming more of a sidekick (plus an eventual romance?).  I’d definitely be inclined to check out the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment