Sunday, November 8, 2015

Book review: Everybody Rise

Title: Everybody Rise
Author: Stephanie Clifford
Format: Audio book
Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Summary:  Evelyn comes from new money.  Her social-climbing mom is constantly pushing her to connect with Evelyn's prep school alum and find a successful and wealthy man to marry.  When Evelyn gets a job at "Facebook for the elite", she finally gets her in. The problem is that Evelyn makes up lie after lie to keep up appearances until she can't get out of her own way or climb over the huge mountain of debt she's gotten herself into.

Review:  I was on the fence about giving this review three stars, but I couldn't do it.  That being said, the book isn't terrible in the way you think it might be.  I gave this book the rating I did because it was stressful to listen to Evelyn's attempts to horn her way into the world of the extremely wealthy.  Listening to her get herself more and more into debt was tense.  You also knew that it wasn't going to end well for her, so I was constantly waiting for that.  I think there were funny parts to this book but I was so stressed out I didn't notice.  Also, I listened to this book and many of the characters' voices were like nails on a chalkboard. I almost switched to a physical book format but I stayed with the audio version, which lost it another star. Do what you will with this information.

Time to write: 5:10

No comments:

Post a Comment