Sunday, November 8, 2015

Book review: A God in Ruins

Title: A God in Ruins
Author: Kate Atkinson
Format: e-book
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary:  Ted Todd is a WWII pilot.  After the war, he marries his childhood sweetheart Nancy and they have a daughter, Viola.  Viola has two kids of her own--Sonny and Bertie.  This story rotates through history and characters to create the story that is A God in Ruins.

Review: Like We Were Liars, this is another book with a twist ending.  The twist startled me so much that when it happened, I had to re-read it to make sure I had read it correctly.  This book is also by the same woman that wrote Life After Life, which is about Ursula Todd.  I had tried to read Life After Life but I found it unreadable.  I'm sure it was good, but it wasn't the book for me at the time.

The reason I bring it up at all is that A God in Ruins focuses on Ted, Ursula's brother.  A God in Ruins was great but it could have used some editing.  For example, I didn't think the excerpts of the Augustus book were necessary.  It also jumped around quite a bit which could be jarring for my easily confused mind.  All that aside, it was still a great book.

Time to write: 5:36

No comments:

Post a Comment