Sunday, April 19, 2015

Book review: Before I Go

Title: Before I Go
Author: Colleen Oakley
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary: Daisy Richmond is 27 and married to Jack, the love of her life.  In her early 20s she battled breast cancer and she's just found it's back. And this time it's terminal in a "6-months to live" terminal.  What's going to happen to Jack when she's gone?  Daisy wants to be sure that Jack is left in good hands after she dies, so she makes it her mission to find Jack a new wife before she goes.  Except that when Jack ends up getting close to a woman that Daisy perceives to be the perfect fit for Jack, Daisy worries that she's lost Jack even before she's actually passed away.

Review:  This is one of those books that when I picked it up from the library and the jacket I thought, "this might not be the best book for me."  But I loved it.  I'd call this sort of "heavy chick lit."  I mean, Daisy's terminal.  But there are funny parts too.  And Jack is a great guy, but terminal cancer can tax even the strongest of marriages.  I don't want to give the ending away, but did I mention her cancer is terminal?  It doesn't end well.  Make no mistake--this is a tearjerker of a book.  I realized it's been a while since I read a tearjerker.  They're pretty cathartic.  I finished this book last night and I was hoping that my sobbing wasn't waking up Aaron.  If you're in the mood for a tearjerker, check this one out.

Time spent on review: 3:39

No comments:

Post a Comment