Saturday, December 20, 2014

Book review: Secrets of the Lighthouse

Title: Secrets of the Lighthouse
Author: Santa Montefiore
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary:  Ellen Trawton is running away.  She hates her job and is engaged to a man that she doesn't want to marry.  She escapes to the Irish town where her mom grew up to live with an aunt that she's never met.  While there she discovers an entire extended family that her mom has never mentioned.  There's also a sexy (but brooding) widower.  The widower's dead wife isn't very happy that her husband might be starting to move on (five years after her death, I might add).

Review: I'm pretty sure I already started this review, but sometimes Blogger gets a little testy and doesn't like to save my drafts.  I hate re-writing reviews.  It makes me crabby.  However, this book is a delightful frothy confection.  And there are angels (well maybe one angel and a ghost).  I like angels.  Nothing earth shattering, pretty formulaic, but who cares?  It's a book version of the rom com. Also, can we talk about how unique the author's name is?  I have no idea if that's her real name, and I can't imagine what it's like to grow up with the name Santa.  I surmised from reading up on the author that she grew up wealthy.  Maybe Santa is the English counterpart to Muffy or Tinsley? 

So why not the full five stars? Because, Ellen comes from a wealthy family.  And has the luxury of quitting her job and escaping to Ireland.  Perhaps I need to start getting my book suggestions from publications other than People magazine.

Anyhoo, if you're looking for an easy read during the cold winter, I highly recommend this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment