Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Book review: This is Where I Leave You

Title: This is Where I Leave You
Author: Jonathan Tropper
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary:  Judd's father just died.  He also recently found his wife cheating on him with his boss.  Judd's not having a great time with life right now.  When he gets back home for his dad's funeral, his mom tells Judd and his three siblings (Wendy, Paul, and Phillip) that their (previously unreligious) dad's dying wish was for them to sit Shiva.  Judd can't remember the last time the entire family was together for an entire week.  Some hilarity ensues.

Review: This book has been made into a movie and stars Jason Bateman, Tina Fey and Jane Fonda, just to name a few. I read this book just after having surgery and it was a terrible book to read because I was laughing so hard and it really, really hurt to laugh.  There are a lot of sad aspects to the book (each kid is dealing with his or her own issues), but it feels real and that's what makes it good.  Plus I love books about family drama.  This book made me want to check out Tropper's other work.


No comments:

Post a Comment