Saturday, May 31, 2014

Book review: Orange is the New Black

Title: Orange is the New Black
Author: Piper Kerman
Rating: 4 out 5 stars

Summary: Piper Kerman had a boyfriend, a career and a life when her past caught up with her.  Ten years previously, Piper delivered a suitcase of money for her then-girlfriend, who was a drug dealer.  Piper's life was put on hold while she served 15 months in a Federal "correctional facility" in Dunbury, Connecticut. This book documents her time behind bars, most of which was spent in Connecticut, but she also provides a perspective of another jail she was in when she was called to testify against somebody else.

Review:  I had no idea that the show Orange is the New Black was based on a book.  As soon as I found this out, I had to read it.  This book interested me for one primary reason--I have an irrational fear of being committed for a crime I didn't commit.  In this case the author was guilty of a crime she committed 10 years prior, but I wanted to read about how this middle-class (although I'd argue upper-middle class) white woman survived prison.  The good news is if I end up at a minimal- or medium-security Federal prison, I might actually survive.  Of course, it would depend on how long my sentence was for.  Is prison glamorous?  Hell no, it was still hard.  But it was still reassuring to know that it wasn't Oz.  There's been a lot written about men's prisons, but not a lot has been written about women's prison.  Whether you share my fear or not, this provides a fascinating view into women prison life and a face to the mothers, daughters, and sisters in these facilities. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh I didn't know it was a book!! Good to know, I'll read it after my studies! I will be relaying n this blog for my summer reading list!! :)

    ReplyDelete