Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Book review: Annihilation

Title: Annihilation
Author: Jeff VanderMeer
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary: Area X has been unreachable to most for a long time.  There have been eleven previous expeditions to Area X and many of them did not end well for one reason or another.  This book is about the twelfth expedition, lead by a psychologist.  She is accompanied by three other women: a biologist (the narrator), a surveyor and an anthropologist.  What secrets are these women hiding?  What will these women find?

Review: This book started off really creepy and is the first in a trilogy.  Despite the three star rating, I liked this book a lot.  However, I had some issues with the story development, which are difficult to share because I don't want to give away too much, so I'll try to be as vague as possible.  For one, I was disappointed by the lack of character depth for most of the characters, although you get a lot of the narrator's back story.  I like knowing what makes the characters tick.  Two, because the story focuses so much on the narrator, some of the creepiness disappeared for me.  Yet I'm still intrigued enough to read the next one. 

Time to write: 4:38

No comments:

Post a Comment