Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Book Review: I Was Here

Title: I Was Here
Author: Gayle Forman
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Summary:  When Cody's best friend Meg kills herself, Cody is left to pick up the pieces and try and find answers.   Why would a girl that lit up a room kill herself?  Could something more sinister be at play?  Or will Cody have to deal with the guilt that her best friend killed herself and Cody really never noticed that anything was wrong?

Review: I don't think I was the target audience for this.  Cody's an admirable young woman--her mom isn't very hands on, her dad wasn't around growing up and she grew up quite poor.  Despite being very smart, she forgoes school and starts cleaning ouses after high school graduation.  Anyway, Cody's world is shattered when her best friend Meg kills herself.  Without Meg Cody feels lost, but her death opens Cody's eyes to the distance that was growing between the two of them.  I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I was 20 years younger.  There's some romance, of course, which is one of the reasons that I took away one of the stars.  I wasn't convinced that this was going to be a relationship that was going to last.

Time to write review: 6:30 (what can I say, I was distracted).


No comments:

Post a Comment