Saturday, January 10, 2015

Book review: Astonish Me

Title: Astonish Me
Author: Maggie Shipstead
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary: Joan is a ballet dancer who helps an acclaimed Russian ballet dancer defect many years ago.  Joan retires from ballet when she becomes pregnant and subsequently moves to California with her husband and young son.  When Joan's son is revealed to be an very talented dancer himself, secrets from the past are revealed.

Review:   While I've never danced and I hesitate to push my girls into dancing, I can't help but be fascinated by ballet dancers and the world in which they live.    I admit, I didn't see where this book was going initially.  One of the advantages and disadvantages of writing a review a few weeks after I finish a book is my perspective changes on it.  Sometimes this perspective changes for the positive, other times for the negative.  In this case, I think it's positive.  But I loved the insight into the world of ballet.  I have no idea if it was accurate or not, but it was still interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment