Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Book review: All Joy and No Fun

Title: All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenting
Author: Jennifer Senior
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Summary: Parenting is tough.  This book outlines in great detail and with a lot of supporting studies how tough parenting is no matter what age your children are. 

Review:  I couldn't finish this book.  It was too stressful.  In hindsight perhaps I thought this book would be funnier.   I think I was looking for confirmation that I'm not the only one that gets overwhelmed with parenthood sometimes.  And I got that confirmation.  Ms. Senior does a fantastic job citing study after study of how parenting has changed.   And there's certainly room for debate on the influences of those changes and if parenting has changed for the better or worse. But it wasn't very reassuring or comforting.

All it did was make me feel more incompetent than I already feel at times and dread adolescence even more than I already am. Not because it's going to be a difficult time, but because that's when they're going to start to distance themselves from me, and that makes me really sad.  Because as much as they drive me crazy sometimes, the best part of my day is when they come running up to me when I get home with big hugs. Well, this has been an uplifting post.  No worries, I have two more to write and post soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment