Sunday, April 13, 2014

Book review: The Interestings

Title: The Interestings
Author: Meg Wolitzer
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary:  This book follows the lives of five friends that meet at camp one summer during high school.  As their lives transition from high school to college to "adulthood", lives and relationships change. 

My review:  This book is right up my alley.  I think I was surprised that I didn't read it soon enough.  The book starts out with six friends but one disappears relatively early in the story and there are three in particular that dominate--Jules, Ethan, and Ash.  Ethan's been in love with Jules since that first summer but try as she might, Jules just doesn't feel the same about Ethan.  He eventually moves on, sort of.

I wasn't sure at first how interesting these people were.  I got more into the story once they were out of college.  That's really the only reason I didn't give it five stars--it just took a while for me to get into.  I don't want to give away too much, but I did enjoy the Goodman story arc and how that blew up.  I was saddened by Ethan but I also liked how his story resolved too.     

No comments:

Post a Comment